Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Loi Kratong

This evening's full moon means it is Loi Kratong, an annual  Thai festival of light. A kratong is a floating offering, a lit candle, incense and some flowers, launched on the river with a prayer, a small coin and a good wish. It is a huge event and it was as busy as it gets here in Ratchaburi, especially by the river. The event is celebrated all over Thailand. 

My Thai hosts need little encouragement to party so the usual suspects were out in full force; yup there was the inevitable beauty contest, lots of music, fireworks, lots of food and a really fun night out. I hate beauty contests but the locals go for it big style.

From what I understand the idea of the event is an annual letting go of the bad things of the previous year: jealousies, resentments, a time to forgive and to move on. A rather lovely concept. When the drunken masses converge on Trafalgar Square, London, to bring in the New Year is forgiveness of past wrongs in their outlook!? 

I had to laugh. An enterprising little girl, in her pyjamas, perhaps aged 7, was stopping the floating kratong as they came down stream with a paddle and removing any money that she could find!!!!

I made spectacular progress earlier today with the ceiling. Hard dirty work but Luna was impressed and thanked me for my hard work! Isn't that nice?! It was a struggle but it is coming together and I am pleased with it. Hopefully will finish it tomorrow that is the downstairs room but hey there is a lot more to do, the kitchen, and the upstairs.

No comments: