Thursday, December 25, 2008

Midnight Mass Thai Style

Those of you who know me will not be surprised to learn that when it comes to religious ceremonies I like the full monty; think Verdi's Requiem Mass, I want the church stinking of incense, I want all stops out on the organ, I want the church shaking to its foundations, I want cardinals & bishops, priests and altar boys, (would "servers" be a suitable non-sexist equivalent?!) and I want the choir of Kings College,Cambridge (note my ecumenism, as they are Anglicans!) on descant. Get the picture?!

Midnight Mass at the church of St John Bosco could not have been more different! It was actually a real pleasure! We started off at 2230h with a presentation/live show of the Creation, the Fall, the Annunciation and finally the birth of Jesus in Bethlehem. My word it was well done, mainly using kids, but I really enjoyed it and I think it really conveyed the message. Remarkably the church was packed, just like they will be tonight everywhere throughout the Christian world, wherever that is these days! Well done to the priests, nuns and kids who put on the show.

After there was a rather ordinary mass but it was overall a beautiful service thanks to the earlier show.

Merry Christmas to you all.

No comments: