Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Sweet home Ratchaburi

I am really so happy living in Ratchaburi and indeed in Thailand. I enjoy my trips up to Isaan,Bangkok, Petchaburi, Cha am or Hua Hin. I am even going to pay a visit to Pattaya next month to attend the annual AA round up there. I have never been there before drunk or sober. From what I hear it is party central and completely full on, in your face! But I can't get enough of this country and want to see as much of it as I can.I have to see Pattaya and there is probably no safer a way than to go to an AA round up and bring my wife with me!

The quality of life I enjoy here is fantastic so much so that we plan to stay here after our new baby, due July 5th, comes into this world....God willing Yup, Luna now looks pregnant. These are truly exciting times for us both. Now do I want to be working 6 very long days a week to make money in London, and live in cramped quarters and have to worry about every penny? Or would I rather stay here and maybe teach 30 hours a week and be able to spend quality time with my wife and family? It's a no brainer really.

I don't need expensive cars, (ok it would be nice to drive an E or S class!) or villas with swimming pools in gated communities or membership at the top golf courses. These are available here at a competitive price. However I have a nice little Honda Jazz, stay in a cheap rented house without hot water(!) and object to paying more than 1500b for a round of golf and prefer to pay under 1000b! Most days I eat on the street, pineapple, jack fruit, pomelo, water melon topped up with noodle soup, fried rice with some combination of meat or sea food. I live modestly but stress I am very comfortable. We have cable TV and broadband. What more could I want?! What use would an armed guard be to me?!

These last few days I have been doing a little teaching in one of the local schools. Strictly pro bono but in return I get some experience on the chalk face and there is talk of possibly being contracted to a full time post at the start of the next school year in May. That would be wonderful as it would enable us to stay here even longer if not indefinitely. So right now I am in a good position. The kids are great, really keen learners and I hope I can do them justice.

In the last few weeks I have been looking at a lot of Thai birds. Yup! Birds! Check out Thai Birding. I cannot even start to tell you the fun we have had. Luna is the Queen of the Kingfishers! There are some amazing birds to be seen and I think we are on to something. Great fun! More will follow!

It is also unseasonably cold here. The locals are really feeling it.... especially in the morning when there has been a really cold wind blowing these last few days. Apparently sub-zero temperatures have been recorded overnight in northern provinces. I have to confess I am aware that it is colder but I am mildly amused by it. The weather is still great and when I read that it is -10 in London I know where I would prefer to be!

The political situation appears to have stabilised in Thailand. Khun Abhisit, the new Prime Minister, appears to have embarked on a charm offensive ..... sending out SMS and distributing calendars. Moreover he appears to be paying a lot of attention to Isaan, traditionally Mr Thaksin's power base. The most important thing is that life is calm here and there is no immediate prospect of trouble right now. Obviously this could change suddenly. But Thailand appears to be settling down again though I do believe the recent problems have been disastrous for the economy. I think Khun Abhisit may prove to be a very shrewd choice: he is young, good looking, bright, media savvy and untainted. The right man I think. I very much hope he continues to establish himself and enjoys a long period in office.

Tomorrow Mission Hills Golf Course, near Kanchanaburi, designed by one Jack Nicklaus, and surely amazing value at 960b for a round. You take care!

1 comment:

Jon said...

Great post. Reading it some how makes me feel so calm. I'm happy things are going well for you and hope to read more about your life in Thailand.

Best of luck with the teaching, hope it's enough to allow you to stay permently in the land of smiles with your furture wife.

Jon