Saturday, March 28, 2009

Tranent,East Lothian,Scotland

I am now with my other sister, Katherine and her husband, John who reside in Tranent a little bit to the south of Edinburgh on the Firth of Forth. Tranent is a traditional mining community but thanks to a certain Mrs Thatcher, there is no mining here or anywhere else in the UK.

The star of the show here is Dorothy, John's 96 year old mother who lives here. She was born a handful of days after the Titanic sank and her earliest memories are of uncles and their friends returning from action in the Great War. She told me she has had a total of three addresses in her near 97 year life, living in her first house for 64 years. A native of Carlisle, Dorothy has recently experienced some health issues so moved up here and is well looked after by Katherine & John.

The weather is typically spring like, strong winds, showers and very variable. I am freezing and long for the heat of Thailand! The forecast is for the temperature to plunge to -4 overnight. Ouch!

I have organised my trip home and am flying south to London Monday morning and then Tuesday morning I am flying from Stansted to Kuala Lumpur with Air Asia, then connecting with a flight to Bangkok.I am really looking forward to being reunited with Luna and to returning home.

Back again to St Andrews today for a barbeque to mark my nephew Daniel's birthday.

No comments: