Saturday, June 6, 2009

The View from Over Here

Sitting here in Ratchaburi I often wonder about what it would be like if I went back to the UK. There is very little I actually miss, perhaps BBC Radio. Much of their content is available online but I would like to be able to tune in to Today as I drive to work! But as I sit here there is nothing I really miss.

I am intrigued by the Westminster scandal over MPs' expenses. It looks as if The Labour Party is done for. I find it hilarious that if the opinion polls are to be believed then The Conservative Party under David Cameron will replace Labour at the next general election.

I remember Mr Cameron's behaviour about two years' ago when there was a bye election in the constituency where I lived. David Campbell in effect ripped up the party's selection criteria and installed his own man as the candidate, a very photogenic man whose name now escapes me , (Tony something), but who was a prominent member of the local Asian business community and who had not even been a member of the Conservative Party for very long. At one level this was a shrewd move because the sitting MP who had died was Asian and the constituency which included Southall has a very significant and prosperous Asian community. Then the campaign material started to flow through the doors as the machine went to work.... Tony, a family man, fighting crime and drugs, Tony this and Tony that. It was looking very good until it was disclosed that a few months earlier Tony had attended a Labour Party fund raiser and made a significant donation to the party's funds. Oh dear and out came the bullshit.... the donation was from his business and did not represent a personal position. Labour thereafter walked away and retained the seat.

I am not really sure this is what I would expect from a Prime Minister in waiting. Mr Cameron made this a great issue, he forced it on his party, you will give me what I want or else I will go. The party bowed to his wishes. Mmmmmm....... we don't hear much about this these days but it is what I will always remember David Cameron for. As far as I am concerned this should never have happened and I wonder what Mr Cameron will do when he is really in the hot seat and a decision is required. My point is that Mr Cameron's judgement was deeply flawed,he should have done his homework.

I sense that the Prince of Darkness, our friend Mr Mandelson, excuse me, Lord Mandelson, is actually running the show as he appears to have consolidated his position within the Brown cabinet. I guess the Noble lord will now be as a clean as a whistle given his previous abuse of his offices for his own advancement and that of his friends. If he hadn't been so publicly humiliated one wonders what the current witch hunt would have revealed about the noble Lord and his expenses.

So I expect Gordon is about to get the push which is sad really because I think he is a decent man. He was active in student politics when I first went to Edinburgh University, having just been elected as student rector. I recall he was often seen in the company of a very beautiful blonde woman who I believe was a Romanian princess. It shall be interesting to observe how this unfolds.

However the UK situation looks bleak. I felt this when I was back in March. I do not envisage a return for some time.

I am enjoying work but it is tiring and I have been laid low with a nasty cold these last few days. A colleague told me to expect to have a lot more sickness! It is still very early days but I am managing to achieve basic class room management and some of the kids seem to be really keen learners. However science is difficult. How do you make dominant and recessive traits interesting?! Moreover I am teaching in English, the text books are in English and the students are struggling with the language and the content. I need to make the learning more interesting, vary activities. However I am enjoying it and I am very grateful that I now have an income!

More on birds coming next!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you so sure it is 100% English your talking, maybe it is because you still have the wee traits of the weggie in you.

You can take the guy out of Glasgow but out Glasgow out the guy.

weescotsguy66

Gerry Brett said...

I thought it was: you can take a man out of a tenement but you can not take the tenement out of the man!!

Gerry Brett said...

A US version: you can take a guy out the navy, but you can't take the navy out of a guy!