Saturday, June 13, 2009

Wai Kru The Flu and Everything Else

I am under no illusion about life being better here than there. It is as far as I am concerned. Some of the random things I like are: you can get your trousers and shirts for school properly tailored; the strides, bespoke, worked out cheaper than if I had bought them in the local department store. My tailor is suitably called Mafia! My shirt and strides bear his logo. He doesn't look Italian in any way! More to the point they are well made and comfortable.

I went to an optician yesterday to get some reading specs and after getting an eye test and trying some lenses the optician said:"Your glasses will be ready in 20 minutes if you would take a seat"! Knock me down with a feather! Excellent glasses too!

Thursday was Wai Kru day, a traditional ceremony held every year to honour teachers. Our pupils lay prostrate and "wai-ed" three times and gave us flowers in front of the whole school. What a nice touch! I think they also made a promise to study hard, behave and to respect their teachers. "Wai" is the traditional greeting in Thailand where hands are joined together and the head is bow; in this ceremony the kids lay prostrate! "Kru" is a Thai word for teacher. Notwithstanding this the kids were monstrous for the rest of the day! A particularily pleasant occasion which could be adapted easily and applied to western schools.

I guess ultimately one of the major differences between our respective societies is the cheap cost of labour here. For instance a live-in lady to assist us with our new born son will cost between £80 - £120 per month, and for that she will probably clean, iron, cook, shop and she will probably be happy too! Maybe we can get her to drive too! Watch this space for details of our new maid!

Worst thing at the moment is I am sick with a flu type virus and cannot shake it off. It's pretty hot and sticky here right now, as well as lots of rain, so airborne viruses are abundant. There is no better place than a school to incubate and spread said viruses and the kids and teaching staff are all suffering. I have been affected for over a week now and I am really concerned I cannot shake this off. A trip to the doctor is looming.

The teaching is going well but it is not easy due to my poor health right now. More later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I had a maid we paid 5,000 baht but later upped this to 6,000 baht.

We never had any small kids just wanted the missus to be freed from mundane task but the only thing the maid never did was cooking that is my missus one main talent of course looking after me is a talent in itself

I spoke with my daughter aboutTeacher Day she informs me the her "Teacher Day" is this Thursday...

Flu type symptoms sounds like your a Swine Flu casualty..

Be careful !!!!! You may not be battle readyy yet with the kids!!!!

weescotsguy66

Anonymous said...

Fist you weescotsguy66. Her main talent is self-fist-ulating. Spell ready...