Tuesday, July 28, 2009

What can I Say?

Benedict was born 3 weeks ago today and he has certainly taken over Luna's life and to a large extent mine, although I am at work a lot of the time. No doubt my time will come. Benedict's a great child, really quite settled and not too noisy. In addition Luna is a great mother and patiently nurses Benedict 24/7; you could say Benedict is very well plugged in. Luna does get a little respite. Boo is a great help and I am quite a dab hand at nappy changing and Benedict and I have regular chats about the munificence and glory of God.

The good news is we are all well, in particular Luna and Benedict. Of course life completely revolves around Benedict, most certainly for Luna. The highlight of our week is Sunday mass. We take Benedict even though he sleeps through it. The alternative would be for one of us not to get to mass. We will review that if Benedict starts being disruptive. But in church Benedict is an angel, well so far. Luna and I have just been shopping tonight and I think it is the first time Luna has been out of the house in the evening since Benedict was born. Let me stress Benedict is great fun, and really is totally absorbing.

Work is tough. I have a long day. Usually I am awake by 0500h and up by 0600h and out at about 0645h. If I do extra teaching and finish around 1800h I am not usually home until 1830h. I enjoy the teaching, I am surprised to say I really like teaching Mathematics, because at school I was rubbish at it. I am currently teaching G 6 basic algebra and I am really getting into it and I think my students are learning too. However it is hard. There is a lot of pressure coming down from on high. Back in London the driving game was so attractive because you got in your car and worked hard and usually earned a lot of money.This is different though I must say it is intellectually stimulating and a far greater challenge in most respects.

I have been out looking at birds fairly regularily, snatching a few hours here and there. Wood sandpipers locally so the migration of shorebirds is now under way. Elsewhere west of Ratchaburi I observed 5 small pratincoles at the reservoir and there were about 10 other new species in the surrounding plantations but I couldn't get the glasses on them for long enough to make a definite identification. I will be back there.

So life is good. I am busy and the stuff that is going on in my life around fatherhood is too profound for me to understand so I'll let you know when I do make sense of it. Benedict is getting baptised this Sunday. Welcome onboard, Benedict. I will post pictures of the event.

Finally we have been flooded with messages of congratulations and presents for Benedict. Many thanks to you all for your kindness. Benedict must be the best dressed baby in Thailand and he is now assembling some fine toys!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad your getting the balance of family and personal lifestyle with your bird watching hobby.

Gerry Brett said...

I'd love to play a game of golf too! We actually had Benedict out with us yesterday evening when we went birdwatching. He likes being in the car and one good thing about being in Thailand is you really don't have too worry about him getting cold.There was a beautiful breeze last night as the daylight ended. So we are now planning a little trip away when we get a break in October.