Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Mothers Day

Today and tomorrow in particular are very important holidays in Thailand: Queen Sirikit's Birthday. By extension the day becomes Mothers Day as Queen Sirikit is very much the nation's mother. We have had sepcial events at school today and tomorrow, a public holiday, there will be a major parade and assembly at the sports stadium in the evening.

Of course I have a hitherto unknown insight into motherhood. The joy of my life, and I have a few, but the greatest joy in my life is watching my son and his mother, that is watching them together. This is a oomparatively new experience, five weeks, but I can now start to appreciate that unique bond that develops between a mother and a child. Can there be any real surprise that the Madonna & Child Jesus, mother and child, is such an evocative and abiding symbol of Rennaissance and religious art? It has transcended iconography in a religious sense and has become the universal symbol of the love of a mother for a child.

To be honest I am very happy to be a bystander, a helper, second fiddle. Luna, however, doesn't have that choice. Benedict is on her as near as 24/7 and her breast milk is true nectar. It gives life to Benedict but also it lays the foundation for his current and future health and well being. I remember on the Monday after Luna came home with Benedict. She looked shattered, as if the penny had dropped. To her credit, Luna has quite literally got on with it and I would have to rate her mothering skills as extraordinary. I am happy to be an occasional nappy changer and carrier.

My own mother was another extraordinary woman, with amazing energy and a capacity to wear innumerable hats and, God bless her soul, one of those hats was making the finest broth in the world.

Somwwhat belatedly in life I am learning to appreciate the astonishing kindess and unselfishness of mothers. So on this Mothers Day, may God Bless all mothers and may their children be ever grateful.

No comments: