Sunday, August 2, 2009

On Being a Christian

Today we celebrated Benedict's baptism, a really beautiful service performed by Fr Vic Payuyo CM at St John Bosco Church, Ratchaburi as part of the filipino community's mass. My colleague Scott from school is Benedict's godfather and he did an excellent job in renouncing Satan on Benedict's behalf.

On a day like today everything was about Benedict but Fr Vic mentioned the recent death of Cory Aquino, the former president of the Philippines. I would have liked to hear more about Mrs Aquino because I caught a news clip of her replying to Ferdinand Marcos' quip of being unsuitable for office due to her lack of experience. She agreed she had no experience of telling lies, stealing and corruption and she doubted whether this would disqualify her in the eyes of ordinary Filipinos! I liked that and ordinary Filipnos refused to accept the ensuing Marcos victory,saying it was rigged, and took to the streets and the Marcoses promptly legged it, Imelda and all her shoes you may recall!

The liturgical readings were all about food and I have to say what an excellent metaphor food is for all matters spiritual. Make sure you get the right food for your spirit. Jings, it is so easy to take the wrong stuff, trust me, I know!

Fr Vic kindly brought lechon for the celebrations, barbecued pig and I have to say it was a very pleasant and civilised celebration and everyone seemed to have a pleasant time.

Benedict slept through it all and was untroubled by water being poured over his head. Would any child cry if they understood original sin?! What do you think I am talking to my son about?!! Benedict loves being in church and is very comfortable with other people.

It really was a lovely celebration. Now Benedict has the keys to the kingdom of heaven. What a lucky boy!

No comments: