Monday, September 14, 2009

In search of Aleutian Tern

Sunday I spent the day at sea in the Gulf of Thailand with group of about 15 intrepid birders in search of Aleutian tern and the possibility of other avian and marine life. The trip was organised by the Bird Conservation Trust of Thailandand led by Philip Round, a lecturer at Mahidol University, Bangkok. Phil is widely regarded as the foremost authority on Thailand's birds. What a great day out and what a joy to be able to tap into such a font of knowledge and experience. As you know I am just a rookie in avian matters.

We set off about 0700H from the village of Bang Tabun in a solid open fishing boat with a little protection from the sun. Phil Round was eager to spot Aleutian tern which would have been a first this far north in the Gulf of Thailand. I think they are more commonly seen further south in Malaysia and Singapore and appear to be regularily seen around Hong Kong. Alas no Aleutian tern on this trip but the final count of significant species reads as follows: 36 great cormorants, 83 great crested terns, 150 whiskered terns, 700 common terns, 5 bridled terns, and 20 white-winged terns. A tern master class you might say. I now understand great cormorants are unmistakable! I have often wondered if some of the cormorants I have seen in Laem Pak Bia were greats but I can now say they were not. Some of the males were sporting breeding plumage so this is good news as they have not been known to date to breed in Thailand.

This list does not include at least two osprey and a whimbrel and various other commoner species. I have to say the osprey were very impressive, ugly big brutes with a touch of malevolence about them. The last time I saw an osprey would be almost 25 years ago when I took my old friend the late Anthony Ross to the Loch of the Lowes in Perthshire, Scotland. He had recently been badly debilitated by a stroke and loved getting out and about.

I have to say the trip was fantastically well organised; I was able to join the party on route to avoid having to go into Bangkok and notwithstanding my bad Thai we managed to connect at the right petrol station on Ram 2 Road. We were well fed and watered and Phil Round's expertise was the icing on the cake. I am very glad I joined the BCST and hope to join further trips in the future.

Now we also managed to see 5 Irrawaddy dolphins but alas no Bryde's whales or Aleutian tern.

No comments: