Tuesday, September 1, 2009

One Hundred Posts on a Year in Thailand

I am amazed to be writing the one hundredth post on this blog. I mean that I am amazed that I have kept writing it. There is no surprise that posts are slowing because I am an incredibly busy person. However I am happy to say that life is generally very good and that Luna and Benedict are both very well.

I commented tonight to Luna that not so long ago we were two and today we are five. We have Benedict, and our maid Boo and now her 20 month old son Chen. He's a nice little fellow and he has taken to kissing Benedict! How things change. I am not complaining, however.

Teaching is challenging, stimulating, frustrating.....everything and anything really. Highs and lows. I am definitely improving. I would make the observation that I work hard for my money. I deserve my pay! Forget it if you are wanting an easy life and easy money! You'll be in for a shock. It is tough but it is very rewarding. I managed to teach a group of 11 year old kids how to calculate the sum of a polygon's angles today. My lesson on the same subject bombed yesterday but they got it today and as a general rule they are not an easy class. In fact today felt good but it was hard work across all the classes I taught.

In real terms, however, it is a privilege to be allowed this opportunity. It's also good for the soul to be surrounded by the boundless enthusiasm of youth and children. In addition it offers the most fascinating perspective on Thais and Thailand, and for sure, it is not always a flattering picture that I would describe.

Bird wise things are pretty lively but no new species or significant sightings to report. I am looking forward to my trip out into the Gulf of Thailand in a few days. I am spending a lot of time researching cameras at the moment. I think I need to get some serious kit to capture some of the birds I see. I am pretty set on a Nikon D300 and I am saving the money I earn from private tuition towards the purchase. I have about 20% of the funds needed for the body and some decent lenses will probably cost the same again!

We are scheduled for a two week half-term break at the beginning of October. It can't come quick enough. We'll possibly head south for a few days, back to Ratchaburi for my friend Scott's wedding and then after I think we'll go North for a few days. Not such a bad life really!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

More holidays the like of a teacher it almost as cushy as being retired LOL

weescotsguy66

Gerry Brett said...

Trust me teaching is tough! Nice to hear from you hope all is well.

Anonymous said...

So how is the golf handicap, fitting in these days? Benedict, birds watching and Teaching wow life is sooo busssyyyyy.

My my only wish is that I could come to retire in Thailand, only 7 more years to go!!!
weescotsguy66

Gerry Brett said...

George haven't played golf since Benedict was born and no immediate prospects. Restricted to weekends and as you know courses get crowded and are a lot more expensive. The birdwatching is rare and next weekend I am out on a boat trip to the Gulf with possibilities of seeing whales and dolphins as well as birds. The teaching keeps me busy Monday to Friday 0700 to 1830 and a half day Saturday morning from about 0800h to 1330h. I am not complaining. It's a full life. I don't think I'll ever retire, maybe when I die. Doubt I'll be able to afford to!