Thursday, May 6, 2010

Back Home In Thailand

Great to be back home and to be able to sleep in our own bed. I don't think I have ever had an easier or quicker passage through the airport or in crossing Bangkok to get home. We got a cab home and I have to say the driver was great and the price was right.

Our final night in Manila was characterised by the refusal of most taxi drivers to use the meter so
the choices were either stay in, walk, use jeepneys or pay. We ended up staying in ParaƱaque City and I don't think jeepneys or walking were options so I decided to pay but had a lot of fun. Some driver would give me a price, say three hundred pesos to drive you round the corner, and I would say : what about five hundred? The driver would look confused, so I would say : ok six hundred then? They would smile and I would say : ok seven hundred at which they would open the door and I would turn away from the car pointing my finger at my rear. Pretty pathetic on my part really but shame on the hack drivers of Manila.

Of course being home means a huge variety of fruit, spicy food, abundant ice and ready cold drinks all at cheap cost. Yesterday I ate durian, mangostein, mango,and pomelo. Neither our electricity nor our water has been turned off since we got here! Good uninterrupted internet connection too! More importantly what a joy to return to find our home and car untouched and not really to have to give too much consideration to our personal safety.

This morning we dined on stewed pork leg and rice, served with a beautiful stock sauce and a clear soup. Heavenly, delicious and cheap. Served with a smile and no special price. Benedict is running about creating havoc pulling out DVDs and books. Nice for him to be able to play with his toys.

I should add that I saw a chiropractor in Manila who sorted out my spine. Very expensive but very effective! It's a bit like paying someone to thump you but it works and other than a little local tenderness my pain has gone.  So much so that I am thinking of playing golf tomorrow.

Good to be back though I want to say I really enjoyed The Philippines and will definitely be back for more.

No comments: