Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Six Years Old!

I think there is great relief that the siege of Bangkok is over and that there is  the prospect of normal life  resuming. Concerns remain, however, about how The Redshirts will show their heads next time as they must do inevitably. This situation is by no means over.

I do believe the final trashing of Bangkok has done grave damage to the standing of The Redshirts. In short they have lost all credibility. I am prepared to concede that they had done astonishingly well in capturing international support and a very generous and sympathetic reception from the international meejia. For me it is straightforward: they always were a front for Thaksin Shinawatra and basically I am not prepared to give them any credibility because of that. We need to rid our politics of corruption. Sure there are huge structural issues facing Thailand and many other countries but I am not sure that thieves and crooks are best placed to initiate the necessary programmes of reform.

If we were to move to another country close to my heart, The Philippines, I have heard a number of people say that any politician who takes on the small group of interests which controls The Philippines, will be assassinated. And boy, the Philippines needs restructuring and levelling out more than any other place I have visited with the exception of Myanmar.

Enough, I am a visitor here, an alien to be precise! It is none of my business! Let me just say I enjoy living here, I like the general approach to most things, I like the people, I like Buddhism, and I wouldn't want political upheaval to threaten my future here. In short I don't want to have to move somewhere else, especially back to the UK of that unholy and unspeakable alliance!

We are now back to work and Benedict has started attending a nursery. I have to say I am pleased Ben is  doing this and he does not appear to be suffering. No reports of tears and crying fits. He does pick up germs and bugs and that is our only concern. He's been running a temperature over the last 24 hours with some diarrhoea but he seems to be coming through it. He has top teeth, he's got plenty of sounds, almost walking......an unbelievable story of growth and development and he just gives me hours of happiness. He's not perfect......he broke Luna's mobile phone and mummy is not best pleased!

I have been able to start playing golf again due to a timetable change. I have agreed to teach some classes on a Saturday and I get Monday off in lieu. I leapt at this opportunity and so I am getting into golf shape again.

I am happy to say all is well and for those of you in the know I celebrate my sixth birthday on Wednesday 26th May ...... yeah 51 going on 6. Thanks for the love and support.

2 comments:

weescotsguy66 said...

Congrats on your 6th year and many more happy returns to come..

My granny fae Shettleston who used to always say her prayers

God grant me serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

When I was home in the town in Glesga looking for a crucifix for my home in Prathum Thani I came across this prayer in St. Paul's bookshop. I just have to have both, it is on the staircase of my home as I come down the stairs every morning. I have to have a balance given we have so much buddist stuff in the house.

Gerry Brett said...

Thanks George, sounds as if you are in good form. The serenity prayer is the business,a truly amazing prayer. I say it regularily. Sometimes my version goes ...give me the serenity to change the things I cannot accept..... keep well. You can read about the birds on botab.blogspot.com