Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Recent Golf

I have started playing golf on Mondays as a result of having this day off by virtue of teaching Saturdays. This means Mondays  I can head for Royal Ratchaburi with my dear friend and neighbour, Lars Olav, from Sweden. The current promotion is 660 THB for a round and a 200 THB tip to the caddy. That is about 17.50 GBP or 27.50 USD. When you factor in the caddy and that the course is top quality then it is in my view a sensational deal.

Lars recently played Dragon Hills, another Ratchaburi course that comes highly recommended, and the deal there is about 700 THB. I should point out that the Royal deal allows you to play a second round for a 200 THB caddy fee and an additonal tip of 200 THB!

Now I am as bad as ever but there are encouraging signs of improvement although I do scatter it around a bit and I am not the most placid person on the golf course especially when I am being hammered. I reckon sub-90 is feasible in the next few months especially if I make it to the range for some practise. But regardless, I am loving my Monday morning golf.

Over the last few weeks I have played at nearby Sawang and Kaeng Krachan in Phetchaburi province. Nice courses but not on the same par as Royal which is my favourite course in all of Thailand.

Now if you have too much money you can drive down to so-called Golfers Paradise in Hua Hin and play for 1000 THB and the caddy tip. Personally I don't think you will do much better than Royal. It is a really tough course. However if you can hit the ball straight then it is a very fair course. Moreover it is well maintained and generally the staff are helpful and pleasant.

Lars brought me some new grips back from Sweden on his recent trip home, made by Golf Pride. A bargain at 2,000 THB for ten and the guy in my local golf shop regripped them for me for 300 THB. Cheap as chips. First time I played with them, last Monday,  I shot a 96 but yesterday I hit 107, 61 out but an encouraging 46 in. So the sub-90 is on........ with time. Watch this space!

No comments: