Monday, August 23, 2010

Royal Springfield Golf & Country Resort Hua Hin

I took advantage of the Hua Hin Golf Festival and played here Sunday for 850 THB pluys caddy and tip, about 1300 THB in total. The advertised green fee is 3500 THB! The course was designed by Jack Nicklaus and of course I come from a generation of golfers who still hold Jack as the living version of the greatest golfer of all time. I played Mission Hills in Kanchanaburi, another Nicklaus designed course, and I have to say Springfield is nasty in comparison! The facilities at Springfield are truly splendid, the course is excellent, the service is very good but sadly it rained and for about 90 minutes it was a washout so my companion,Duff, and I only managed about 13 holes. More to the point I played very, very badly to the point of asking myself : "Why bother with this?" I really couldn't put two decent shots together. However it was an interesting experience as the rain break took us back to the club house where I was able to observe expat life a little. I am glad I don't live in Hua Hin although the expats, retirees and holidaymakers appear to be having a great time and if you have the money and like golf I am sure Hua Hin would make an ideal bolt hole. Springfield is recommended so long as you can get the promotional price.

No comments: