Sunday, October 24, 2010

So A Fond Farewell to the Philippines.....just for now!

Balinsasayao Twin Lakes Natural Park
Dumaguete 
Negros Oriental
16.10.10

I have to say how much I enjoyed our holiday in the Philippines. We finished off in Dumaguete City in the southern part of Negros, Negros Oriental to be precise, and from there flew into Manila. I had a hair raising ride up to Balinsasayao Twin Lakes National Park on Saturday on the back of a motor bike. Fantastic views over to Cebu and a truly beautiful place worthy of far more time.

In Dumaguete City  fiesta is getting underway so plenty of nightlife in the vicinity of our hotel, mainly singing. I have to say I have never been so struck by the number of elderly Western men with middle-aged Filipinas on their arms as in DC. These didn't seem like natural relationships.....hey what is?! The large number of Westerners would put me off linving in this area. I would much rather live in Bacolod if we were to move to the Philippines. Don't get me wrong DC is a fine place, on the sea and gentle and laid back!

A happy Benedict on the esplanade at DC
17.10.10

We went to mass at the Redemptorist Church on Sunday which was said by an elderly Irish Redemptorist priest who talked about patience in prayer and set it in the context of the good news story concerning the rescue of Los 33 in Chile. He also alluded to it being Mission Sunday and I couldn't help but think this Father is part of rapidly dwindling group of missionary priests. I can't see many missionary priests leaving from Ireland or Scotland to work in the missions. In fact the truth is that many churches in Europe and the West are importing their priests  from these mission areas. I am reminded of the surprise of an aunt in Australia at the arrival of two African priests in their parish in Tasmania.

Luna & Benedict at the Bethel Guesthouse
Dumaguete City
17.10.10

NAIA excelled, as ever! When we landed in the airport in Manila it was tipping down with rain, horizontal stuff. Cebupacific have a nice new terminal except for whatever reason our plane could not attach to the gantry and instead we had to make a quick dash in the rain with Cebu's staff handing out brollies! Tut tut! Otherwise it is a great terminal, except the display screens usually don't work, the free wifi doesn't work, long lines at immigration and for security checks and no exceptions made for parents with small persons, unlike Thailand where most times we are directed to the priority lane. Plus it costs me 750 PHP to leave the country a significant part of which is an airport "service" fee and in light of some of the above-mentioned difficulties, I think it is outrageously expensive.

But hey I had a really excellent holiday and really enjoyed myself! Mabuhay!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I will be in Thailand next year in February and am thinking of going to Kaeng Krachan National Park. I have contacted Baan Maka about staying there. I see you have stayed there before and have also use their reccommended birding guide. The lady at Baan Maka said I can also hire this man but says he doesn't speak english. I have some reservations about hiring someone I won't be able to understand but see that you have written that you have had some great trips with him.
Do you think that I will have a good time with the man Baan Maka suggests at a birding guide? Many thanks. Nick Stephens My email is nick@granadachef.com

Gerry Brett said...

Hi Nick I have another blog about birds at botab.blogspot.com so check it out. Your message came through on this blog and I am not doing much here at present! I have no hesitation in recommending Mr Piyat to you. He is a delightful man and he knows the names of the birds in English plus his Thai language guide book also has the species names in English. There are other guides available but this guy is a bit special in my opinion and he's showed me some good birds.......a red headed trogon and a hooded pitta spring to mind! If you have a scope he'll spot the birds with it. He knows his way around, he knows the park rangers, he knows the photographers, he knows what's about. His vehicle is ideal too, a pick up truck with the truck open with benches. He'll be ready to go at 5:00 am and he'll stay out until it is dark at about 6:30 pm. I think you'll have a great day out and he is a really nice guy, very easy going and gentle and he loves birds. Avoid KK at the weekend!