Friday, January 23, 2009

Golf in Thailand

Since arriving here at the beginning of October last year I have played on some wonderful golf courses. I regret to say that my golf has been very poor but nevertheless I have to say the courses are really magnificent. My Lonely Planet guide doesn't list Ratchaburi at all......thank God! It has a number of mainstream tourist attractions but in Royal Ratchaburi and Dragon Hills it has two outstanding and extraordinarily good value courses; midweek you'll get a little change out of a 1,000 baht note. Head two hours down the road to Hua Hin, "Golfer's Paradise" (hoho!), you'll be lucky to walk on and play as a visitor for much less than 2,500; the only way you'll play for less is if you are a member's guest; in fact in Golfer's Paradise you can pay 3,500 for your round and ...... So stay away from Ratchaburi and that way I will have these wonderful golf courses all to myself! I was also very impressed when I played Blue Sapphire to the north of Kanchanaburi; a great quality course, difficult, beautiful landscape, and once more midweek expect to play for under 1000 baht all inclusive. I have also played in Korat and Mission Hills, Kanchanaburi, and enjoyed both courses but not quite as memorable as the others I have mentioned.

In general the Thais do golf extremely well. Of course there are some issues which may surprise you. Many courses allow 5/6 balls, especially during the week. I haven't seen faraings playing in such large groups but the locals do. I am reliably informed this is allowed in order to enhance the match as a betting contest. The main problem with this arrangement is that long delays can occur and sometimes our hosts are not amenable to letting smaller groups play through. Then there is the Korean question. Most courses have resorts attached to them and our friends from Korea have a tendency to take over the courses when they move in en masse for their two week junket. In general these guys ( many gals too) are golf nuts, they play 36 holes a day with a lunch break and practise as well. They appear to be indifferent to the needs of other golfers, however, reluctant to give up on a lost ball or let you play through,and some of them are simply rude, hostile and aggressive with little concept of golfing etiquette. But I do not think there can be a nation more wholly committed to the game of golf than Korea and like me, they love their golf in Thailand! Finally it can get very hot!

On the plus side you will generally play on well maintained, beautifully landscaped golf courses and you will find plenty of cold drinks available as you make your way around the course. Locker room/club house facilities vary but you'll get a locker and be able to take a shower and eat etc. One thing I like is you get a caddy for which the course charges 200-250 baht and the convention is you give your caddy a tip of 200 baht or more if you feel generous. Some of them are very helpful, some simply pull your clubs round the course on their trolly and mark your ball for you on the greens, some are completely useless and are more interested in their mobile phones.... Generally I have a high opinion of the caddies.

So what you waiting for. Come to Ratchaburi and enjoy the golf!

6 comments:

Jon said...

Hi Gerry,
thanks so much for you blog. I'm coming to Korat this Feb and would very much like to play one or two rounds before heading up to Nong Khai. Would you be so kind to suggest one course, the one you enjoyed the most in or near Korat. Thanks for your time.
Jon

Gerry Brett said...

Hi Jon good to know some one out there is enjoying my blog! I have only played one course in Korat, The Korat Golf & Country CLub, formerly known as Rooks, which is about 25 minutes south of the city. I was actually surprised by how good it was. I was expecting it to be very dry and parched but it played really well and had been well watered and I think the green fee was 800 baht. Keep in touch and enjoy your trip.Gerry

Anonymous said...

Gerry,

Do you mind if I repost some or all of this. It is very good.

Gerry Brett said...

Jaysus how decent of you to ask! Feel free!

Jon said...

Thanks Gerry, I'll give it a try.
Just 3 more days and I'll be on my way.

Purchased two hybreds to replace my 3 and 4 irons the other day and on the way out of the parking lot I backed up into a smaller car. What a way to start my last week before vacation.

I just barely bumped her but it still cost me $640.00 to get her car fixed.

Have a great day. Jon

Gerry Brett said...

Ouch! You'll soon have forgotten all about it!