Sunday, March 22, 2009

Back home in dear old Glasgow town

I had a helter skelter time in London and saw heeps of people and even managed to shed a few tears. I was really signing off because I have just been issued with a Non-immigrant "B" Visa which will enable me to work in Thailand. Our future for the forseeable future will be in the Land of the Smile. Moreover I have been offered employment as a teacher in Ratchaburi and subject to clearing some more formalities I am scheduled to commence in May. So I am saying good bye to some people as I really don't have a return date in mind.

A number of people in London in recent years have greatly assisted me in getting out of a terrible rut that actually threatened to end my life prematurely. So it was joyous to be reunited however fleetingly and to be able to share my continuing good news story. My visit was very much about people, not places.

I did visit my favourite church,Westminster Cathedral. I thought I was going to a bog standard evening service but it turned out to be a full sung Latin mass, possibly Mozart,and as some of you know I have a love of sacred music. A very pleasant surprise.

I travelled to Glasgow Friday by coach. God, it was a long trip but my main issue was cost as flights and trains were starting at about £90.00. The coach left London at 0800h and made it to Glasgow at 1915h, two hours late, due to an accident and roadworks in the Preston area. In additon the service stopped in Manchester and Preston which I didn't know at the time I booked but apart from the length of time it was fine and exactly what I expected for £17.00.

Staying with Tony who some of you know has just got back from visiting us in Thailand. We had a fantastic lunch at an Indian restaurant called Mother India in the West End of Sauchiehall Street. I have eaten here many times before and would include it in my top five India restaurants. We had the lunch menu at £10.90 for two courses and the portions were not only delicious but huge. I had a truly scrumptious haddock pakora with a spicy sauce followed by an exquisite Butter Chicken and Tony had fried aubergine with a beautiful lamb gosht of which he said after one bite:"I wish I could cook lamb like this." Excellent and highly recommended.

An afternoon wandering round the busy Glasgow world of retail. Quite cool weather. Miss my wife!

No comments: