Friday, July 3, 2009

Golf & Durian

Just fantastic to play golf today even though I was rubbish. Played some decent shots but no consistency.....two great wood shots to get to 60 yards on a par 5, thereafter a pitch into a bunker, play through the green and three putt! What a joy to be out on my local course, Royal Ratchaburi with Lars Olav from Sweden, Skip from WA, USA and Derek from Manchester, England three fit and active retirees. I enjoyed it so much I am going to play Monday morning as I have another day off. We have some great golf locally and it is as cheap as chips. Fantastic to be out there enjoying it.

The durian season is in full swing right now and I have to confess that I have developed a real taste for it. I had always steered away from it thinking it couldn't be so good if you are banned from bringing it into hotels or onto public transport. I had heard it was high in cholesterol. So I had not taken much interest in it until this year. Wow it is absolutely fantastic and I checked it out and it is indeed wonder food with no cholesterol and bursting with all manner of natural goodness. Hit this link for more information on durian.

We were at a little house warming party tonight and the conversation moved to durian. My interlocutors were a couple of lovely filipina nuns and it seems our mutual friend Bishop Panya buys the holy sister durian from time to time. So having established that the sisters liked durian I went out to get them some. The couple selling it were able to speak good English. Sadly they lost their jobs working in hotels in Samui and are back home in Ratchaburi trying to make ends meet by selling durian. So I bought a whole one and my man chopped it up for me wearing his protective gloves and a large machete. The Carmel Sisters were far from restrained, I'll need to have a word with their Superior!

Fruit is one of the highlights of Thailand....I eat a lot of pineapple, jack fruit, pomelo, and water melon, some mango, papaya, mangosteens, bananas and grapes and now durian. It is really inexpensive plus it is all seasonal. There is lots more available. We are so lucky living in a place where there is so much good healthy food available so cheaply. So lucky in so many ways really! Boo is going to the market to do a little shopping so we asked her to get some banana and sweet potato fritters and some durian! As I say very lucky.

3 comments:

Thai Golf Nut said...

Nice write-up. Have you played Dragon Hills or Evergreen Hills?

You can see some information at
http://www.golfasian.com/golfasian/golf_course_detail.asp?course=Dragon-Hills-Golf-and-Country-Club&gcid=79

The courses look good.

Gerry Brett said...

Yeah.... I think Dragon Hills may be my favourite; haven't played Evergreen but know of it, played Mission Hills towards Kanchanaburi. Some really great courses in the area.

skip said...

Gerry here is your golf swing

http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa193/skipvice/?action=view&current=MVI_0988.flv