Monday, October 11, 2010

Negros Occidental: Our Holiday in the Philippines Part 3

Ethan Joseph Edgar Occeña

A short delayed flight from Manila NAIA got us to Bacolod City on Monday 4th October 2010 in the early evening, after a smooth 3 hour bus ride from Balanga City. Our little gem excelled at the airport in one of those classic moments. Benedict approached a small girl about his own age as we waited to board our flight and planted a kiss on her cheek. What a delightful boy! I was fearful that Benedict might rough her up a bit as he can be a little exuberant at times.

Nice to be back in Luna's home town and to reconnect with her family. Bacolod is gearing up to celebrate Maskarras, a 19 day fiesta, with its origins in the city' strong Spanish antecedents and "maskarra" means mask, so face masks are the order of the day. You can find out all about it here: MaskarraFestival.


I have always enjoyed myself here in Bacolod City and a week later after my arrival that remains unchanged. We have met our newest member of the family, Ethan, daughter to the Nen and Edzell. I am Ethan's uncle! Here is a pic of our latest arrivals enjoying an afternoon nap.

Benedict and his cousins from l to r  John, Jason &Paolo

I am sorry to say I have only been once  to Calea, the world's best cake and coffee shop. However we have been to Imay's restaurant for a delicious traditional Filipino meal with Fr Jacob, Marjo, Glenda and Cherry who visited us a few months ago in Thailand. I am usually highly critical of food here. This was delicious including memorable deep fried aubergines in batter, crispy talong, probably the tastiest aubergine dish I have ever eaten.
Benedict loves shopping especially the trolleys

I had a terrible round of golf with a few friends at Negros Golf & Country Club. It is a good course, in fact I was pleasantly surprised by the general quality. I will be back. Reasonable green fees, good greens, helpful caddies and not busy at all when we played.

I took a brief trip down to Danjugan Island on Friday 8th October. I stayed one night and that was too few by about 6! What an amazing place and I recommend it to you unreservedly. Check out www.prrcf.org. This is the best eco-tourism style gig I have done. Basically I went to look at birds which are not everybody's idea of fun but you can walk, swim, snorkel, dive and just chill. They charge a flat rate of 2500 PHP per day ( about £35.00/ $50.00 US) and this includes everything except diving. I slept under the stars in an open wooden shelter under a mosquito net. I woke to the sound of the adjoining forest. Absolutely fantastic. The fee includes transport by boat to and from the island, all meals and snacks and there is a regular supply of coffee. The use of kayaks and snorkelling equipment is included and I got a ride by boat round the island and a guided walk from one side to the other. 

There is basically no one on this island. It is completely undeveloped and it is really beautiful. It has cell phone coverage but there are no plugs to recharge batteries. No music, just the sound of the natural world. The people who run it are really friendly and helpful and it is about 4.5 hours from Bacolod, including a short 30 minute banca ride. Check it out!


Early Sunday we took a trip to The Mambukal Resort which is about 45 minutes from Bacolod City and is in the shadow of Mount Kanlaon, an active volcano. What a great place! I went birdwatching and then joined Luna and the gang for lunch in one of the huts specially designed for this purpose. The resort gets very busy at weekends but is really great fun stinking of sulphur and resounding with the high pitched noise of the hundreds of bats which congregate in the trees. It really is a great place, an area of outstanding natural beauty including a 7 tier waterfall with a walkway up one side. I bumped into these carabaos on my travels and the butterfly is the work of Luna. Busy but recommended. 



And finally I had a laugh at these two small boys as they mounted this carabao and then attempted to make it move.

We are having a great time and I must say I have little hesitation recommending the Philippines to you.

No comments: