Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Survival: Our Holiday in The Philippines Part 2

I have to say how much I am enjoying our holiday. There is no doubt that the Philippines is growing on me. We are now in Bacolod City (BC) in Negros Occidental; this is where my good wife hails from. I have never really had much of a problem with anything here in BC; it's a kind of honest-in-your-face sort of place. It's dirty and chaotic but nevertheless dynamic and right now the locals are gearing up to Fiesta, The Maskarras Festival which peaks on 19th October 2010.

Here are some tips to survive the pitfalls of travelling in the Philippines.

  • Taxis: if the driver won't use the meter simply get out and use one that will. Don't negotiate, don't persuade, don't offer a tip. The driver lost the job and you are going to take your business to an honest driver whom you'll probably tip as well. I say don't negotiate because many drivers will agree to use the meter to get you in their vehicle and then tell you how the traffic is so bad and that there is no work out of the airport. Sorry dude, you're in wrong job. Just get out and take your business somewhere else. We did this at Pasay in Manila on Monday. We were offered 300 PHP to the airport, which came down to 200 PHP when we said we wanted the meter. We got out and got into another car on the meter. The fare on the meter was 62.50 PHP. We gave the driver 100 PHP.
  • There is a food outlet near the arrival gate in NAIA, Manila. It advertises free wi-fi. We went in there to eat and use the wi-fi. We placed our order and the price asked for was higher than that on the board. I didn't challenge this.  I handed over some money and our staff member said to take a seat. I asked for the change and he said he would bring it over later. I said I wanted the change now and he gave me angry eyes. So he starts to count out change and he rounds his increased price up and I ask him why he is doing this. More angry eyes so I told him to cancel the order, give me my money back and that I would eat somewhere else.
  • Beware the transportation people at the arrivals area in NAIA. There is a desk marked "TRANSPORTATION" immediately as you exit arrivals into the terminal proper. They appear to be up to something as they are not directing people to the designated areas for fixed rate/metred taxis. An official looking woman wearing an ID tag demanded to know where we were going. My wife said somewhere and a ridiculous price was suggested and this then came down when she raised her eyebrows. I don't know what is going down here but sure smells fishy. I would suggest you head straight to the signed taxi service area where you have a choice of fixed rate/metre cars.
  • Hotels: there is an increasing number of new, good quality budget hotels that advertise rates online. Most of these have generators and so life continues as normal during brown outs (electricity outages). We are currently staying at the The Circle Inn in Bacolod City for 999 PHP a night. I have paid more for a room in this town without water and no alternative power supply. It's great and this hotel gets all our business when we visit here. Unfortunately there are many rip-offs around lodging combined with serious deficiencies in services.
Let me stress I have no downer on The Philippines or Filipinos. Increasingly I really like this place. I offer these tips in the knowledge that this is happening all over the world. "Caveat emptor" , "Buyer beware!" comes from the Romans so there is nothing new under the sun.There is just a lot of it going on here in the tourism sector. But let me state we are having a great time!

No comments: